For those of us with little children, the last few weeks have been a challenge, to say the least. The coronavirus pandemic has put lives on hold around the world and while everyone waits out the storm indoors, parents are left to wonder how they’ll manage this new lifestyle with their children close by all the time. Below, are 38 Ways to Have Fun at Home With Your Kids!
From juggling a new work-from-home life to keeping the house clean, life may seem chaotic right now. The good news? It’s not just you –– everyone is facing the same struggles. The younger your children are, the more difficulty you may face.
Younger kids need more frequent attention, constant entertainment, and a watchful eye to ensure they aren’t getting themselves into a pickle. All of this may seem like too much for parents who are dealing with their own worries and stress.
Of course, COVID-19 has been devastating. But it’s also doing something wonderful. Consider this time from your children’s perspectives. They suddenly get to spend time at home with their parents, rather than seeing them only in the morning and evening.
They suddenly have extra time to play, to create, to imagine. They suddenly have the opportunity to develop themselves in new ways, learning to cope with the challenge, uncertainty, and the idea that life isn’t always predictable. These are lessons that, while challenging, will serve them well later in life.
As parents, we have the unique opportunity to use this time to our advantage. Allow yourself to relax; things will get better. In the meantime, enjoy the precious moments you have with your family. When this is all over, you’ll look back on the valuable time you spent together and reminisce about these days for years to come.
To help you make the most of this time, Coupon Chief has created a set of fun printables you and your kiddos can use to have fun while stuck inside. Whether your kids are big or small, these printables will encourage light-hearted family time –– they’ll also help you keep them busy if you’re desperate to get some work done!
38 Ways to Have Fun at Home With Your Kids
Use the list below of 38 Ways to Have Fun at Home With Your Kids, to inspire your daily activities. Whether you love movies or puzzles, these ideas will keep you and your family busy for hours and allow you to bond with your children!
- Have a picnic on your living room floor –– don’t forget the blankets and lemonade!
- Try a new recipe together –– let your kiddos help with easier tasks like mixing.
- Play dress-up with Halloween costumes and accessories.
- Create a bucket list of dream destinations. Bonus points for showing them on a map!
- Host a puppet show with tickets and a DIY stage.
- Roast marshmallows over the kitchen stove –– be sure to help the younger ones!
- Have a spa day, complete with DIY face masks and pedicures.
- Try out a fun exercise video on Youtube.
- Create a scavenger hunt.
- Have a family video game tournament.
- Host a virtual playdate or lunch with your kids’ school friends.
- Put together a fun playlist and throw a dance party.
- Take a virtual tour of a museum.
- Host a Disney movie night and act like professional movie critics.
- Rewatch your kids’ favorite cartoons, start to finish.
- Create silly TikTok dance videos with the whole family.
- Put together a talent show and have everyone participate.
- Have a “casino night” with board games and cards.
- Set up an indoor obstacle course using pillows and chairs.
- Bring out the paints for an arts and crafts day.
- Play indoor hide and seek –– take turns being “it!”
- Try a homemade slime recipe.
- Tie-dye old t-shirts.
- Create your family tree using construction paper.
- Set up a tent and have a campout in the living room or backyard.
- Build a kids-only pillow fort.
- Visit the animals at the San Diego Zoo using live cams.
- Learn a new language together using a language app or school books.
- Give everyone a makeover using face paint or makeup.
- Combine cool science with fun to make paper airplanes –– who goes the farthest?
- Make homemade playdough with flour and food coloring.
- Host a tea party with stuffed animals or your pets.
- Make homemade pet treats.
- Order delivery and have a pizza party.
- Build an entire city from Legos.
- Stream an online drawing class for kids.
- Make jewelry out of pasta, beads, and string.
- Host an at-home concert with band instruments or pots and pans.
Hopefully, you’ll take inspiration from this list of fun things to do at home. Remember that though times are tough, they won’t last forever. Use this precious time to bond with your children and encourage their creativity through play, crafting, and learning.