There are Driving Rules That Apply To Every State. Some states have different laws/rules but some stay the same. It just depends.
When we moved to Washington State from Oregon a while ago, I was big and pregnant. I let my driver’s license lapse and after giving birth, I went to the DMV and tried to renew it. I thought a quick test and picture was all it would take, right? WRONG.
Because I had let my driver’s license lapse for more than a months time, I had to RETAKE the whole driving test!!! Uh, seriously? I was so mad at myself and so irritated at this stupid rule!! Seriously? I have to retake my driving test with someone else sitting next to me as I drive? Yep. I felt like a teenager all over again, except I was 40… Ya.
If I was just renewing my driver’s license and it had already been from Washington (not Oregon), then all of this would not have had to happen. But, rules are rules I suppose. Of course, the person who was testing me was a complete jerk and was so rude to me (almost cried twice!). But, I passed with flying colors. Go me.
But, there are many rules that apply to every state. I like this because then I KNOW what I am up against if something happens (or I forget to renew my driver’s license…). Below are some Driving Rules That Apply To Every State.
Driving Rules That Apply To Every State
- Pedestrians always have the right of way. Sometimes this is an annoying rule, but we must heed this rule!
- Always wear your seatbelt. I remember when I was younger, we did not have to ever wear our seatbelts. I would often right on the center hump in between my dad driving and my mom in the passenger seat! Me and my siblings would fight who would get to sit there! So funny to think about now.
- Do not EVER drink and drive. I have known too many individuals who have done this and some of them have died 🙁
- In bad weather or sunset, you must turn on your headlights.
- If you’re behind a school bus with flashing red lights, do not try to pass them!!! I have seen many people do this and it infuriates me!
If you are ever unsure about the rules you can search online or if you are ever at your local car dealership, like Sheridan Nissan, you can ask them. They are more than helpful to answer any questions and help you find an affordable and reliable vehicle.
What are some weird driving laws/rules you have in your state?