When you are not getting enough sleep, and have trouble sleeping, you suffer from sleep deprivation. This might look hard to consider, but the best solution to sleep deprivation is of course more sleep. But what can we do when we are unable to control our lack of sleep.
Sleep deprivation might occur chronically and happens when you don’t get adequate sleep for a long period. At times this condition happens when we start an all-nighter for days at a stretch. Individual people have their individual needs and so is the average requirement of sleep they require each day.
Again, the average amount of sleep an individual needs changes over their lifetime. A night of poor quality sleep can lead to sleep disorders like insomnia etc. But in most cases, a single sleep of 8 hours is sufficient.
In case of chronic sleep deprivation, your sleep during the night can be elongated, and also additional naps during the day can help. Young people tend to take much time to recover from prolonged sleep deprivation.
There is a thing about insomnia. Recent studies suggest that maximum people suffer from sleep deprivation at some point in their lives. And as you grow older, you are more prone to suffer from this illness.
Though this is not a piece of great news you must be relieved after hearing that there are multiple solutions following which you can be cured of this state and you can sleep like a baby again. When you are not able to sleep, you go out searching for the best treatments that are available and that can cure you of this condition.
Luckily there are many options available for your assistance. Many environmental factors are available that can counteract the effects caused due to sleep loss. While some factors may seem normal, some may surprise you.
You may also consider consulting a sleep doctor. The doctor will prescribe you medications that will calm your nerves and help you sleep. Prescription sleeping pills will help you sleep better. You may order prescription online and get them delivered to your doorstep. Remember, medical intervention becomes necessary if symptoms get worse. So, don’t hesitate to contact your doctor.
Sleep Deprivation and how to control or overcome it
Let us understand what is Sleep Deprivation or this illness caused by Insomnia. In normal terms, insomnia is another type of sleep deprivation that is caused when one is unable to sleep a stretch or cannot sleep at all.
This can also be considered a sleep disorder. Insomnia also has three stages: They are transient, acute, and chronic. Here the length, time, and severity of the illness are different.
- Transient Insomnia: This is the least severe type of insomnia that normally lasts less than a week. This symptom normally does not long but less than a week and is caused by other disorders or a slight change in your sleeping. This is the most common form of insomnia and is very easy to cure. Try to figure out what is the exact reason for the condition and find out the key and by doing so; you can deal with the issue.
- Acute Insomnia: This condition is a bit more severe than the previous one. In this condition, sleep deprivation can be a bit tough and longer-lasting and can last from weeks to months. This symptom can be derived in people by stress or depression. Having this symptom means that you are in a serious territory and it is high time you should treat this symptom with much caution.
- Chronic Insomnia: This condition is the most severe of all. This condition needs more time to diagnose and also needs more time to cure. Sometimes it takes years to get cured. This condition can either be a sleep disorder or a primary disorder. The symptoms can be like having double vision, mental fatigue or hallucinations, etc. If you are facing such symptoms then you should get medical help as soon as possible. This is the most intense form of sleep deprivation.
Symptoms of Sleep Deprivation
Let us find out the symptoms that are associated with insomnia or sleep deprivation. There are no common symptoms that are prevalent but you will find some of them in common.
Often you would find that you are unable to sleep peacefully at night and at other times you are unable to find a comfortable spot in your bed. Sometimes, you cannot go back to sleep after you wake up in the middle of the night.
This entire can lead you to have late-night food cravings, watching TV, or any other such distractions. An insomniac person will have very difficulty staying awake during the day and would look and feel tired throughout the day.
And if anyone is feeling such symptoms or finds it impossible to get to sleep or sleep soundly, leading to sleep deprivation they are advised to consult the doctor immediately and get a possible diagnosis.
Sometimes you can feel like the chicken or the egg scenario like which comes first. You can find symptoms like anxiety and depression but there can be some other causes as well.
With further diagnosis, you can find out that these symptoms are interrelated. Sleeplessness can lead to you getting anxious and that is why you start worrying about sleeping.
Causes of Sleep Deprivation
Sleep deprivation or insomnia can have certain causes which can be as varied as the people who are going through them. Anxiety and depression are two major causes and there can be some other causes like broken relationships, change in jobs or money crunch, etc. These causes can sometimes become giant factors while devastating you easily. Some other causes are:
- Irregular work schedules: Not having a proper work schedule can be a major cause of having sleep deprivation or insomnia. But owing to this pandemic, everyone’s work schedule has been hampered. And due to this irregularity, there is an effect on the circadian rhythm which controls the sleep-wake cycle.
- Late eating habits: Late eating habits can also lead to insomnia which might cause indigestion, discomfort, and bloating. Also, late eating can cause acidity which again can be another cause of insomnia. Again sudden weight gain can make late-night eating a big factor.
Ways to control insomnia and cure it
Here, we shall discuss the possible ways of curing insomnia and sleeping disorders. Read below for some effective approaches to control your sleep that you are craving and maximize your mattress time.
- Stop worrying: Worries are huge enemies of sleep. If you find yourself not getting proper sleep and staring at the ceiling then get up immediately and start walking across your room. Start listening to some music or read a book. Do anything that would relieve you of your anxiety. Go back to sleep once you feel drowsy and you shall find quick and effective results. Also, check if your mattress is too stiff or firm. For more details check the link below.
- Workout and meditation: Workout and medication help a great deal in controlling sleeplessness and relieving stress. It increases dopamine, manages weight gain, food cravings, and all these together help in reducing stress and anxiety.
Research says that when people have regular sleep and exercise, they get better sleep and experience less sleeplessness. Avoid workouts right before bed and start meditating.
Melatonin supplements: Melatonin is a natural hormone that is automatically produced in the body and is responsible for inducing sleep. When this hormone is not produced naturally, then the patent suffers from insomnia.
So, to make up for the hormone, one needs to take melatonin supplements. However, there are certain side effects of these supplements and one has to be careful and consult a doctor while taking this supplement. Because a melatonin overdose leaves you groggy the next morning. For detailed information, you can refer to the link below.