Could Vaccines Give My Child Tourette’s Or Tics?

Could Vaccines Give My Child Tourette’s Or Tics? That is a HUGE question I kept asking myself OVER and OVER again the day AFTER my 5-year-old received his vaccines. This is our story.

First of all, I want to say that this post is about an experience my son  had, after having his vaccines, right before his 5th birthday. Each parent obviously has their OWN thoughts/choices and that is fine. However, these are my thoughts and choices as a parent to my children.

My son was one day shy of his 5th birthday and he had a child well visit. I took him to his appointment and they told me my son needed a few vaccines and then he would be all updated on them. I had no reason to object, after all, I had allowed it in the past for him and my daughter. I did not know any better and certainly never read up on any of it. This was just the norm for us. When we got home that night, everything was completely normal. My son did not act any differently. We had dinner and soon, we all went to bed.

The next day, was a completely different story. I woke up in the morning and my son came into my room. His face was literally twisted and he kept making a VERY uncomfortable looking facial expression. I leaped from my chair and raced to him thinking the worst! What was going on with my little 5-year-old?!? I was freaking out. My son kept doing that facial thing over and over again. He asked me what was wrong with him.

I did not know! I didn’t know what was going on. I called my hubby and explained what was going on and my hubby was just as scared as I was. We did not show our son how scared we were, I instead comforted him and told him everything was okay. Then, I would run to the bathroom and sob because I had NO clue WHAT was going on or if ANYTHING would be okay…

Could Vaccines Give My Child Tourette's Or Tics?

What on earth was going on with my boy? Was it something I did? Was it something he ate or did? I was not sure. I called the doctor and made an appointment that day for my son. When we got to the doctor appointment the doctor was not sure either, except for maybe my son had ‘tics’. That was the first time I had heard of tics so I was curious and the doctor explained. I then told the doctor that this was the first day in all of my son’s life, that he had tics. He never had anything like this before.

The doctor referred us to a neurologist so they could get a better idea of what was going on with my boy. As we were walking out of the hospital my son started doing those twisted facial expressions even more. I remember a lady walking by and looking at my son. She said ‘oh boy! what a scary face to make!‘. I KNOW that lady did not know that my son could not help making those faces, but it still enraged me! I know it was not her fault, but seriously, don’t ever say things to people and assume your words don’t hurt. That lady should have kept her mouth closed and just smiled.

We finally were able to see the neurologist and he told us that our son has Tourette’s and tics. I asked what could have caused this because before he turned 5, he was fine. He had NO tics AT ALL. Nothing! The doctor gave me a few suggestions that sometimes it just happens and we don’t know what triggers it. The doctor tried to prescribe my son some medication to help with it and I said no way. I wasn’t going to drug out my son because he had some tics. No thanks. We left the doctors with no new information and an even greater fear :/

Of course, when I got home I Googled the crap out of Tourette’s and tics. I even had a mommy group that I was a part of and I explained what my son was doing. They also suggested it could be Tourette’s. The answers I started seeing, I did not like. I then thought really carefully about ANYTHING I could have done differently that could have caused this and it kept coming back to my son getting his vaccines. A light went on in my head.

Could Vaccines Give My Child Tourette’s Or Tics?

Could Vaccines Give My Child Tourette’s Or Tics? Quite possibly, yes. I was not only shocked but felt SO guilty!!!!!!! But I just never knew. I never knew and was naive. Naive to the WHOLE entire subject of vaccines.

My son’s twisted facial expressions lasted almost until he was 6. Nope, it did not go away, though. Maybe the twisted facial expressions did, for the most part, but now there were new things he was doing like clearing his throat OVER and OVER again. Or blinking his eyes a whole bunch or stretching his neck/arms or a loud sound over and over again. So no, it wasn’t better, just different.

It kept changing through the years and today my son is 10 going on 11 in January. He still clears his throat over and over again and every month there may or may not another new ‘tic’. But, there is ALWAYS a tic, always. They never go away. My son gets really self-concious at school when the class is quiet and he HAS to do his tics. I feel so bad for him. But, my son has the neatest personality and I know he will be okay.

I have never medicated my son because of this, why would I? We have brought him to a natural doctor who prescribed him with natural ways to help with tics and anything neurological related. That has definitely helped some.

My daughter and son are pretty close in age (23 months apart), so my daughter was current on her vaccines too. She never, thankfully, experienced ANY side effects from her vaccines (yet, sigh). And my newest? He is 3 going on 4 years old. He is not up on his vaccinations. And you know what? He probably never will be. Not after experiencing what my son is going through. No way.

Am I a horrible mother because I will not vaccinate my youngest anymore? I don’t think so, but there will ALWAYS be that one person who will say I am and you know what? That is fine. To each their own. I won’t tell you how to raise your child, so please don’t tell me how to raise mine. I saw what vaccines have done to my oldest and by God if I will let that happen to my youngest too! Will ANY of my kids ever be vaccinated again? Nope. Never.

The ONLY reason I wanted to share OUR story with you all, was to just share our story. I am not putting down anyone who does vaccinate because that is a very personal choice. It is not up to anyone but YOU as a parent to do what you feel is best for your child. PERIOD. If my story helped you in any way, then wonderful! If not, that is okay too.

I would love to hear your thoughts. PLEASE don’t leave rude or mean comments, I will not allow them! Thank you!

Comments

1. I think vaccines are safe for most people. The diseases they prevent are worth it for me.

2. I would rather give my child vaccines.

3. Hesper Fry says:

Thank you for the post! I have always wondered if vaccines are safe to use. So far I have given my kids vaccines as my doctor says the benefits outweigh the risks, but sometimes I still wonder.

4. I have always given my children all of the vaccines available. Of course there is always risks but I have always felt that not giving my children vaccines is an even scarier risk.

5. You make excellent points! personally, I was not vaccinated as a child except for with what the doctors require when you are a baby (under a year old). As an adult, when I went to college they required me to get an MMR shot. Looking back now, I suppose I could have gotten out of it, but I wasn’t opposed to shots necessarily. I don’t think my parents were either, we just didn’t have insurance when I was a kid and I didn’t get well-child checkups. Now, I feel like I need to do a lot more research before my own baby arrives so I can make the best decision for my family.

I’m sorry you’ve had to go through this. As a mother, we are always looking for a reason why something has happened. A pin pointed incident when something goes wrong. Could it have been the vaccines? Maybe, but either way, I hate whenever a mom feels more guilty than she probably already does on a normal basis. Hugs.

7. Its scary all the unknown and risks. My husband has had a heart attack at a pretty young age and the presciptions he is on have been known to cause more plaques in some studies, loss of muscle, memory loss, etc.

8. Maryann D. says:

I was always worried about vaccines. My son was really sick from the MMR. Hopefully your son’s symptoms will subside as he gets older.

9. Ashley Dionne says:

I have always wondered this myself….great information!

10. Mary Harding says:

Hi Happy Holidays….when I read that people would even think about being rude to you …that’s insane …you got a great blog here ..you just block those people okay!!Life is too short …sincerely Mary Harding

11. Vaccination is a very serious concern and a lot of thought should be given before a decision is made and everyone should respect the decision once it has been

12. Wow! Such an informative post.

i totally understand your concerns,,as a mom and grandmom,,and as a retired nurse,i can see the affects of not having your chiild vaccinated also,,,it is a hard choice to make a lot of the old diseases are coming back ,,polio,,,measles,,mumps,,whooping cough,,etc.

14. Darcy Koch says:

This is the first I’ve ever heard of anyone developing these conditions to a vaccine. Personally, I doubt it was due to that. Just a coincidence. I think if it was there would be many more than this one isolated case. It’s not enough to deter me from vacinnating.

15. Side effects of vaccines are rare. While it is a personal decision please remember that the illnesses they prevent are very serious and can cause learning disabilities as well as deformities. It is not acceptable to me that children are being put in danger because vaccinations are not getting done.

16. Elizabeth Balesteri says:

Thank you so much for your great idea’s

17. patty.wright says:

My story is the same as yours. If he got rid of 1 tic he would get a different one. It sometimes goes hand in hand with autism. My son has that too. A lot of schools won’t let kids go to school without shots.

• There are ways around it! Ask your doctor for a note. If you don’t want your child to have vaccines, you don’t have to! sorry about your child 🙁

18. I have a close friend whose son developed Tourette’s when he was in grade school. I don’t think that it had anything to do with vaccines. He did learn as he got older what triggers effected him, mostly anxiety and tiredness and through some drug therapy and mediation has been able to control it. He is now in his 30’s with a successful career and family of his own.

19. I am so sorry to hear about your son. When Charlotte was a baby, we were in the military and it was just one of those things they did when you walked in. By the time my son came around, since he was soley at home and not day care, I delayed all vaccinations till he entered school and then only did the required by law ones. I dont care about studies that say they are not related- because the government can run a study on ANYTHING and skew it anyway they want. I go on parental instincts and logic. Logic is if you enter something foriegn, a chemical, into the body, there can be side affects. Thats with anything from tylenol to McDonalds, so its foolish to believe that vaccines cannot be the cause of something in a human. I will continue to pray for your patience as he grows and that you find something that will help him along the way.

• Thank you, Trisha. Yes, I absolutely believe to trust your instincts and think logically. There are side effects to vaccines some worse than others, as with anything. I appreciate your comment and prayers <3

20. My daughter had a reaction to a round of vaccines. It’s a very touchy subject (as you know) so I don’t mention it much but it has certainly caused us to question the risk. There is no way to know for sure, but I do know that their little bodies are being inundated inside and out with things they just weren’t designed to handle EVER (artificial ingredients, carcinogens, preservatives, pollution, etc) let alone as growing children and it’s causing negative reactions. I don’t think that it’s any one thing alone, I truly believe that our entire environment from food to air has been infected (for lack of a better word) and ailments that were once more rare are becoming more common because of the rampant exposure to things that our bodies don’t know how to process.

21. Tourette Syndrome (TS) is an inherited, neurological condition most likely involves basal ganglia and frontocortical circuits and an excess of dopamine and In many cases TS is linked to other behaviours, most often Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)