4 Tips to Keeping Your Home Safe During Holiday Travel

*This is a sponsored post.

Have you ever left home and thought, ‘oh my gosh, I think I forgot to lock the back door!‘, or ‘I hope I remembered to turn off the stove!‘. I know we have and had to go back and look to make sure we indeed did remember to do those things. Better safe than sorry, right?

4 Tips to Keeping Your Home Safe During Holiday Travel

You would agree with me IF you’re anything like me! Whenever I travel, a little voice in the back of your mind says, “Is my home safe? What if a fire breaks out? Could a pipe burst? Could a thief break in while I’m away?” So even though I love holiday travel, I’m never able to completely relax! Ugh.

So I breathed a sigh of relief when I was contacted by Ooma—a leading internet home communications hub—with the opportunity to deliver 4 Tips to Keeping Your Home Safe During Holiday Travel. Before you lock your doors and hop in the car, make sure you follow these steps to ensure your home is safe!

4 Tips to Keeping Your Home Safe

4 Tips to Keeping Your Home Safe During Holiday Travel

thermostat
TIP #1: DON’T TURN YOUR THERMOSTAT OFF

Before leaving for an extended trip, it’s important to lock in a safe temperature in your central heating system. If you live somewhere with cold winters, don’t turn your thermostat off! To prevent your pipes from freezing, set the temperature lower than usual—ideally between 40 and 55 Fahrenheit.
Live in a warmer climate? Leave the thermostat at about 69 Fahrenheit. Alternatively, you can completely avoid worry by controlling your thermostat remotely. Ooma detects when your thermostat is in “Away” mode and will automatically forward any home calls to your mobile device.

gas-flames

TIP #2: SHUT OFF THE GAS AND UNPLUG ALL APPLIANCES
Always turn off gas-powered devices such as stoves, ovens, and fireplaces, and unplug all appliances. This can prevent any accidental fires and potentially hazardous carbon monoxide leaks into your home, as well as save energy. This is especially important if you have pets at home who can’t defend themselves against unforeseen hazards. For an added layer of protection, be in the know—Ooma can warn you via text and direct you to call 911 when your Nest Protect smoke/carbon monoxide detector has been triggered.
man-talking-on-the-cell-phone-1541703

TIP #3: DON’T KEEP YOUR TRAVEL A SECRET
When leaving home for several days, tell someone you trust where you’ll be in a case of emergencies, such as a fire, burglary, or carbon monoxide leak. Friends staying in town or a thoughtful neighbor could be options. They can keep an eye out for suspicious activity and notify you of any out-of-the-ordinary occurrences. Ooma allows you to be notified immediately when 911 is dialed and you can call them or call the police to investigate.

ooma-telo-handset
TIP #4: LEVERAGE TECHNOLOGY TO MONITOR YOUR HOME
Thanks to technology, our homes are getting smarter and smarter. Did you know there are countless apps that can connect to systems in our homes—from central temperature to security systems, light bulbs to the Amazon Echo?
The Ooma Telo seamlessly interacts with your favorite smart home products and services to make your home safer and more convenient than ever before. Whether it be increased levels of carbon monoxide or a home break-in, Ooma can be the first to alert you to any danger.

4 Tips to Keeping Your Home Safe During Holiday Travel

You can learn more about Ooma’s home monitoring system and buy an Ooma Telo at http://www.ooma.com.

Get Social With Ooma!

Connect with Ooma on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google+ and Pinterest!

Has an emergency ever happened at your home while you were away?

Comments

1. Thank you so much for the tips and pointers on this very important subject. I like my home safe all year. but there well may be more targeting in the holidays, if not for desperation.

Some super tips that all need to heed!

3. I am so lucky as to have a neighbor who watches out for our place. I know that uneasy feeling of leaving for a few days and worrying about the house.

4. Joy Venters says:

good tips

5. Buddy Garrett says:

These tips are great. I never thought of turning off the gas and unplugging appliances.

6. Leah Shumack says:

I have a neighbor friend who I let know when I’m on a trip so she can keep an eye on my house for me! I love that technology is helping with this now! There has been a few times where I wasn’t sure if I left a door unlocked!

7. No emergencies yet knock on wood but I do always worry someone will break in and steal my beauty supplies,clothes or beer

8. Jeani Brickner says:

Luckily, I have never had something happen while we were away. I didn’t realize that I should turn off the gas and unplug the appliances. Thanks for the nice tips!

9. These are great tips. And you are right about not turning the thermostat off.

10. We have used Ooma before.

11. Kat Emerick says:

Thanks for the tips. I worry all the time when we go away!

12. We have not had anything serious happen and hopefully will not in the future. Thank you for the helpful tips.

13. Kayla Klontz says:

Thanks so much for the tips, I always forget something. My father recently lost his house from neglecting to turn something off

14. We’ve been lucky so far (knock on wood!) And we usually have a neighbor watch our home. Growing up, the washer hose burst once when my family was gone and we returned to a laundry room full of water.

15. I have very friendly and generous neighbors whom I trust to watch over my home. I don’t worry when I’m away. I’m very blessed for that.

16. christina moore says:

Thank you for sharing the tips, I try to keep everything safe

17. I’m always looking for ways to live safer! Thank you for sharing!

18. I’ve heard of OOMA but am surprised to learn it’s more than a phone service! I’m checking it out to learn all that the company has to offer!

19. Thank you for the tips on keeping your Home safe!

20. Michelle Coles says:

I always have that feeling that I forgot to do something when I leave the house! Great Tips, Thanks!

21. These are some great tips

These are great tips and good reminders!

These are some good tips.

24. These are really great tips! Thanks for sharing.

yes ,,i left a iron on once and had to call a neighbor to go turn if off and unplug it

26. Darcy Koch says:

All great tips. However, I would probably still check everything 2 or 3 times before I felt comfortable leaving.

27. melody hodge says:

All are great tips but #2 is the one I triple check before leaving my house. I have such a fear of gas problems while away so I guess Im a little more worried over that.

28. thomas hill says:

good points to make.

29. Important tips to remember and good idea to monitor with apps.

30. Always a great idea to have a friend or family check on your home when you’re away!

31. I will add on to tip #3 – tell someone you trust that you are traveling, but don’t blab it all over social media that you are gone.

32. These are all fantastic tips to keep in mind while traveling. We always ask our neighbor to keep an eye on things while we’re gone for added security.

33. Karen Beckett says:

Wonderful tips! It’s a very good idea to have a very reliable close neighbor to help keep an eye on things.

34. These are all great tips to keep in mind! We always tell our next door neighbor when we will be away so they can keep an eye on things for us.

35. I love these tips/. My fiancé never wants to tell any of the neighbors we are gone, but I always remind him if its someone we trust it will help.

What Do You Think??