We all know that children love fireworks. I LOVE fireworks, heck everyone I know loves them. But, every year, no matter where I go, SOMEONE always gets burned, no matter what. Last year, it was a little boy that we had over, he burned his finger pretty badly while doing a sparkler. The year before that is was my hubby. He burned the side of his hand, probably doing something he should not have been doing (men!).
So, how can burns from fireworks be prevented? First, use common sense, I mean, really..
But, if it does happen, and it probably will, I have searched the internet to grab up some great info to share with you all…
*If a burn does occur, DO NOT put butter, oil, ice or ice water on the burns. That will cause more damage to the skin then good.
*For a first degree burn, soak the burned area in cool water for a few minutes. Then apply a burn gel or aloe vera to the area. I prefer the Burn Jel Plus, as it did absolute wonders to my hubbys hand when he burned it. Cover your burn with dry gauze or a band aid and take an ibuprofen to alleviate the pain.
*For Second Degree Burns, soak the burned area in cool water for 15-20 minutes. Use ointment or the Burn Jel Plus and cover it lightly with dry gauze or a band aid. Take ibuprofen. Keep an eye on it and if it looks like it is getting infected, go see a doctor.
*For 3rd Degree Burns, go to the hospital right away! Don’t try to treat it at all, cover it loosely with a clean cloth and go to the doctor.
Always keep a hose near you or a bucket of water. NEVER let your kids play with fireworks unsupervised, even the sparklers. Sparklers are one of the main things that burns kids each year, and pretty badly.
Use common sense, stay safe and have a happy 4th of July!!!